Focusing on the Blur

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results." -Herman Melville

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

FareeeeezZING


What to do when the weather's been below 10 degrees for 3 straight days? Go outside and play of course and play hard. It was rather frigid, but that didn't keep me from heading to the mountains to try out snowboarding in sub-zero temperatures. I believe the temp. when we were driving in was -6 (that's the lowest I've seen my car thingy read). Seth and I were bundled, were talking many, many, many layers, but did that keep the cold out? Nope. Apparently it isn't a good idea to have even slightly tight snowboarding boots when the mercury dips below 0. At first I thought I was being a pansy and then I thought maybe I'd lost my ability to handle pain, the thought of exhaustion also crossed my mind, but this was the first run down the frigid mountain, so that one was quickly tossed out. I slowly made my way down the mountain, my toes felt like they were in a vice grip, then on a razor blade, then I was sure they just fell off. I walked off the slopes looking like a toddler with a loaded diaper and a bad case of "pigeon feet". The thought of frost bite crossed my mind, then was tossed aside, until....I went inside. The warmth of the indoors reminded me that my toes had not fallen off, they were still very securely on my feet, except I rather wished they weren't there anymore. They were returning to life and with that the sobbing started, scaring all little children within eyesight. My toes were what scared me and they were indeed frostbitten. FYI: anyone who has never had frost bite, this is by far one of the most miserable and painful experiences of a lifetime. Two hours later I was back on the slopes and I felt like a new person. Thankfully, I do still have all 10 toes and I'll probably be buying a new pair of snowboarding boots!

1 Comments:

Blogger ZZ said...

You should buy some of those things that people put in their socks to keep warm - what is it called...mustard.

1/18/2007 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home